Sunday, February 05, 2006

Luka Chuppi

It is 6 in the morning and I'm just about to go off to sleep. Yet, I pause before I get off the chair and finally hit the bed. I click on Windows Music Player and decide to listen to the song "Luka Chuppi" from the movie Rang De Basanti...again.

I do not know what it is about this song, but right from the time I've heard it, it refuses to stop playing over and over again in my mind. The strumming of the guitar, the beats of the tabla and the voices of Lata Mangeshkar and A. R. Rahman make it an unbelievable song to listen to. Hats off to Prasoon Joshi; he has achieved the impossible in expressing in his lyrics the love and care that a mother has for her son.

On hearing the lyrics for the first time, I thought that the song might be talking of the love of the motherland that an expatriate might have. But the beautiful manner in which the song was picturised in the movie, I could not help but smile in the darkened cinema hall. Smile... while there were tears in my eyes. God only knows what powers of self-control made me stop tears streaming down my face when I saw the silent stare of Waheeda Rehman, a shattered mother who has lost her son.


Luka Chuppi bahut huyi saamne aa ja naa
Kahan kahan dhoonda tujhe
thak gayi hai ab teri maa

Aaja saanjh hui mujhe teri fikar
Dhundhla gayi dekh meri aa ja na


(Enough of playing hide-and-seek, come forth now;
I have searched everywhere for you
And I am tired now

It is evening time
And look, my vision is blurred with tears; come forth now)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »