Sunday, April 17, 2011

IT Helpdesk

Office laptops are one of God's peculiar creatures. They give up on you when you least expect them to.

A couple of weeks ago, I was back home in Calcutta. I was using my wireless USB stick to connect to my official mail server. I had used it to check a few mails on Saturday and so was relatively relaxed on Monday morning when I tried to login again, living in the false belief that the IT gods were still smiling on me. Little did I know, they were just getting started.

For some reason, the laptop wouldn't recognize the USB modem no matter how many times I put it back in the slot. After doing this a couple of times, I realized the problem: my admin rights had been removed and hence, also, the rights to the modem.

"Damn," I said, and called up the IT helpdesk number at my Mumbai office.

IT: Good morning, IT helpdesk. How may I help you?

S: Yeah, hi. Listen, my laptop isn't recognizing the USB modem, because my admin rights have been revoked. Can you do something?

IT: Hmm.. right sir. What is your desk no.?

S: ~mentions desk number~

~Furious typing sound~

IT: No problem sir. I have taken down that complaint. I'll have somebody sent to your desk in 20 minutes or so.

S: Arre?!!! I just told you, I'm in Calcutta, not in Mumbai leave alone at my desk.

IT: Oh !!

Here, there comes in a very, very long pause. I can almost hear the guy's mind slowly moving into first gear.

IT: Oh, ok sir. Just give me a minute.

~some scrambling and hollering in the background~

IT (new guy): Yes sir. How may I help you?

S: ~sighs~ ~repeats problem~

IT: Sir, no problem sir. Why don't you bring the laptop here to the IT room and we'll resolve the problem.

S: God have mercy!!

IT: Sir ???!!! Sorry, I couldn't hear you.


Needless to say, I couldn't get my modem's functionality back till a week later when I joined office. Such are the mysterious ways of the IT helpdesk.

3 comments:

ani said...

:P my helpdesk guys can remotely login to my laptop and fix my problems!! but yes.. the jinx shall remain!

Shekhar said...

I told them to try and do a remote access login but they insisted it couldn't be done except over the LAN. :(

ani said...

u make me believe in my helpdesk!!